PVHS football game ends early

Fan statement about a weapon, followed by fireworks, led to early halt

Steve Smith
Posted 10/2/21

DENVER -- A report of shots fired near Evie Dennis Stadium in northeast Denver forced a suspension of the football game between Prairie View and Far Northeast high schools.

The two teams were …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Don't have an ID?

Print subscribers

If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.


Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.

If you made a voluntary contribution in 2022-2023 of $50 or more, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access includes access to all websites and online content.

Our print publications are advertiser supported. For those wishing to access our content online, we have implemented a small charge so we may continue to provide our valued readers and community with unique, high quality local content. Thank you for supporting your local newspaper.

PVHS football game ends early

Fan statement about a weapon, followed by fireworks, led to early halt

DENVER --Prairie View High School officials said a comment about a gun and fireworks caused a suspension of a football game between the ThunderHawks and Far Northeast Warriors Oct. 1.
Denver police found no evidence of a weapon or that anyone fired a shot.
The incident started at the beginning of the fourth quarter. The Warriors were leading 14-7 at the time. PVHS officials said someone in the home-team stands made a comment that an individual had a gun. Shortly after that, someone set off fireworks.
"Members of the faculty and staff of both schools, along with the DPS Department of Safety and Denver police worked to calm the crowds," said a Facebook post from school Principal Mike Burke. "Law enforcement looked into the claim that there was a weapon at the game. They have determined that there was no evidence of any gun or gunshots fired."
Authorities evacuated the stands and suspended the contest. Players, coaches, trainers and staff were safe and wound up at home with their parents.
"Everyone safe and accounted for as far as we know," said Chris Peterson on Twitter late Oct. 1.
"I was on the sideline, and I saw the crowd running," said PVHS player Ashton Buckalew. "I told my coach they were running, so we all ran and laid down until all was clear."
PVHS player Lukas Villalobos said the T-Hawks were running a play.
"Me and the running back were pushing a pile," he said. "We saw everyone running. I looked back to a couple of coaches who were telling us to run off the field. So we did."
"The game stopped at the beginning of the fourth quarter and did not resume," said PVHS coach Tim Cardenas.
This is the third such incident in the Denver area this season.The others were at the North Area Athletic Complex in Jefferson County.That game continued with no interruption and at Hinkley High School. The game at Hinkley did not resume.
PVHS and Far Northeast are in the same football conference, the class 5A Metro 2 league.
In his Facebook post, Burke said anyone in need of mental-health assistance should contact him. His phone number is 303-655-8816.
"It was a little wild," Villalobos said. "We never had a thought in our mind that would happen at a high-school football game."
"I’m just glad everyone is safe," Buckalew said. "Athletes don't deserve this, especially after what we lost last year.
"It sucks this is the way the world is."
Prairie View High School, Far Northeast Warriors, football, shots fired, suspended football game


Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.