The suspect who was shot and wounded by Castle Rock police officers on Christmas Eve is facing felony charges. Charles Walter Rees, 67, could not attend his first court appearance on Dec. 27 because …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
The suspect who was shot and wounded by Castle Rock police officers on Christmas Eve is facing felony charges.
Charles Walter Rees, 67, could not attend his first court appearance on Dec. 27 because he had not been released from the hospital. His bond was set at $500,000 and he is being held in the Douglas County jail on four counts of felony menacing, a Class 5 felony.
Castle Rock police officers shot Rees the afternoon of Dec. 24 after they responded to reports of a suicidal person at a home on Sierra Drive in Castle Rock, according to the arrest affidavit. Four officers were placed on paid administrative leave for three days, according to town officials.
A town news release the day of the shooting said officers had entered the home when the suspect pointed a weapon at them, prompting them to shoot their weapons in response.
The arrest affidavit says Rees was armed with an unloaded pellet gun manufactured to resemble a handgun when he was shot by police in the arm. Rees was transported to the hospital under police guard and underwent surgery.
As Rees moves through the court system, the 18th Judicial District Critical Response Team is conducting an investigation to determine if police were legally justified in their use of potentially deadly force. The Castle Rock Police Department is simultaneously conducting an internal investigation into the shooting, a town spokeswoman said.
The arrest affidavit says authorities frequently received calls from the Sierra Drive address. In the 30 days leading up to the shooting, Rees had reported he was suicidal, the affidavit says.
The Dec. 24 incident unfolded after authorities received a 911 call in which a man said, “if anyone shows up, they are going to get shot,” according to the affidavit. A woman could be heard in the background.
Police dispatch called the phone number and spoke with a woman who said she was Rees' wife, that he had been drinking and that he was suicidal. She told police he had an unloaded pellet gun, although he believed it was loaded.
The affidavit states that six officers responded to the area. Once there, they spoke with Rees' wife after she exited the home. She told police Rees was alone in the house, but officers entered the home after they believed they heard a man and woman arguing, the document says.
After they entered the house, officers heard a television in the living room and ordered Rees to make himself and his hands visible. Rees eventually walked to the end of a hallway where, according to the affidavit, he “looks at officers and then swiftly pulled out a handgun and points it at the officers.”
The affidavit says two officers fired their weapons — one fired a shotgun loaded with bean bag rounds and the other fired with his patrol rifle.
In follow-up interviews, the affidavit says, the two officers stated they believed Rees was pointing a real gun at them.
A spokeswoman for the 18th Judicial District said there is no timeline in which the investigation of the incident must be completed.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.