Castle View • For the fourth consecutive season, the Sabercats won the Class 4A/5A co-ed championship at the CHSAA State Spirit Championships, which were held Dec. 8-9 at the Denver Coliseum. • …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• For the fourth consecutive season, the Sabercats won the Class 4A/5A co-ed championship at the CHSAA State Spirit Championships, which were held Dec. 8-9 at the Denver Coliseum.
• Three Castle View wrestlers were No. 1 in the Dec. 15 On the Mat rankings. Adrian Marquez at 113 pounds, defending champion state 106-pound champion Malik Heinselman at 120 pounds and defending state 170-pound champ Tate Samuelson at 182 pounds are top-ranked. Heinselman and Samuelson finished first in the Dec. 15-16 Old Chicago tournament in Loveland.
• Patrick Simpson's boys basketball team has won eight straight games after a season-opening loss. That's already the most wins in three seasons. The Sabercats were 7-16 during the 2016-17 season and 5-19 in 2015-16. Chase Hettinger, a 6-foot-5 senior, leads this year's team with a 23-points-per-game scoring average, which ranks third among the state's top 5A scorers.
• The girls basketball team, led by India Cole's 13.9 ppg scoring average, took a 7-0 record into a Dec. 18 contest against Dakota Ridge before heading to Las Vegas to play in the Tarkanian Classic.
• Michael Smith was ranked second at 220 pounds in the Dec. 15 On The Mat individual wrestling rankings.
• Samantha Tamborski was second in the diving completion at the Coaches Invitational girls swimming meet held Dec. 16. Elsa Litteken was third in the 100 backstroke with a time of 56.24 seconds.
• Boys basketball coach Earl Boykins saw the Huskies' season-opening four-game winning streak snapped with a loss to Liberty on Dec. 15. The team, which has displayed balanced scoring, had two games scheduled before the holiday break.
• Easton Allred ran 22nd at the Nike Nationals cross country meet Dec. 2 in Portland, Oregon, with a time of 15:36.8.
• The Jaguars' cheer team was second in the Class 5A contest at the CHSAA Spirit Championships, which were held Dec. 8-9 at the Denver Coliseum.
• Jessica Beckwith placed second in the 100 butterfly at the Coaches Invitational girls swim meet held Dec. 15-16. Her time was 56.41 seconds.
• The state's top-ranked 5A boys basketball team remained unbeaten and won the Clash On The Coast basketball tournament, which ended Dec. 16 in Oxnard, California. The guard duo of Sam Masten and Tyson Gilbert have been the ringleaders of the Jaguars' start. Masten is averaging 21.9 points a game and Gilbert 13.4.
• Cross country runner Cole Sprout was the top Colorado finisher in the boys Nike Cross Nationals held Dec. 2 in Portland, Oregon, with a 21st-place finish and a time of 15:35.8.
• The cheer team was crowned 4A champions at the CHSAA State Spirit Championships held Dec. 8-9 at the Denver Coliseum. The Eagles won a tiebreaker with the highest cheer scores to capture the title.
• The hockey team had another win streak snapped by Regis Jesuit, but the positive is the improvement showed by the Eagles. Last season Valor won its first six games before losing 6-0 to Regis. Valor had its season-opening three-game winning streak halted on Dec. 16 by Regis but the Eagles only lost 2-1.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.