Operation Mountain Guardian is a terrorism-based, full-scale emergency exercise scheduled to take place in numerous locations in the Denver metro area on Friday, September 23, 2011. The exercise will involve first responders from 81 different agencies, will be conducted at ten separate locations and will include loud noises, simulated weapons, smoke, emergency vehicles and other equipment that will be audible and visible throughout the day.
The purpose of this advisory is to provide information that can be disseminated to the public ahead of time to avoid confusion or concern on exercise day, as well as to invite media coverage of the event.
• Operation Mountain Guardian will be held at the following locations throughout the Denver Metropolitan area:
1. Park Meadows Mall
2. Smedley Elementary School
3. Denver Union Station
4. Community College of Aurora (Lowry Campus)
5. Denver International Airport
6. Sky Ridge Medical Center
7. Denver Health Medical Center
8. University of Colorado Hospital
9. Catholic Charities (NW Denver)
10. Sports Authority Field at Mile High
• The exercise has been designed as a learning event for regional first responders to test their capabilities in a scenario that will involve a terrorist-driven catastrophic situation. Exercise play will occur at the four primary sites and DIA. Catholic Charities and Sports Authority Field at Mile High will participate in an administrative fashion to test student/teacher processing activities. Sky Ridge Medical Center, Denver Health Medical Center, and University of Colorado Hospital will participate for the purpose of testing medical surge capabilities and communicating within Incident Command.
• The exercise is scheduled to begin at 5 a.m. and end by 4:30 p.m.