Cigarette causes house to catch fire

A Parker home caught fire after a cigarette butt was left in a plastic pot on the deck of the home.
By Ashley Dieterle
Posted

A Parker home caught fire and was damaged by a cigarette improperly disposed, fire investigators said. The fire was started May 9, and South Metro Fire Rescue Authority responded.

The house was at 15762 East Indian Brooke Circle. Because of the wind, the fire burned the exterior of the house, said Andy Lyon, public information officer for South Metro. One person and two dogs escaped the home without injury, and the fire was extinguished quickly by firefighters, Lyon said.

“A cigarette butt was left in a plastic pot on an outside deck and smoldered and melted the plastic before igniting the exterior of the house,” he said. “The fire burned through the outside and in the wall before it was noticed.”