Chicken is cause of 15 workers’ illness


It was food poisoning from leftover chicken that apparently caused a crew of 15 landscapers in the Sedalia area to become ill enough on Sept. 7 to require hospitalization, said Caroline Kipp, a Castle Rock spokeswoman.

“They all had eaten leftover chicken that had been sitting in the cars, so it was a food storage issue …,” Kipp said Sept. 10.

She said the Castle Rock Fire Department received a call at 6:09 p.m. Sept. 7 after nine of the sick workers stopped at the Castle Rock Walmart for some over-the-counter medication and became even sicker at Walmart, vomiting in the restrooms.

“A Walmart worker called for help and our crews arrived,” Kipp said.

The nine workers were transported to Castle Rock Adventist Hospital. The six other workers who were sick drove themselves to the hospital.

Kipp said the workers’ current conditions are not known, “but none had life-threatening injuries at the time.”


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment