Castle Rock imposes fire restrictions

Staff report
Posted

Castle Rock implemented fire restrictions last week that target open burning and fireworks. According to a news release, violators could face a $1,000 fine, 180 days in jail, or both.

Castle Rock Fire Chief Art Morales said very warm weather and an increase in vegetation, which acts a fire fuel, led to the restrictions.

“These fire restrictions are a proactive approach to safety in our community,” Morales said. “With the high heat and limited rain we have had, conditions are prime to support rapidly growing wildfires.”

The restrictions prohibit open burning of any kind, except in developed or residential areas on private property. Also prohibited is the use and sale of fireworks.

Still allowed: fires in constructed, permanent fire pits, fire grates and chimineas, and in charcoal and gas grills.

At this point, the town is still planning its July 4 fireworks display. However, this event depends on fire dangers and restrictions. The town will update the status of this event online at CRgov.com/July42013.

Since weather conditions can change rapidly, the town could increase restrictions in the future. Check CRgov.com/firebans for any updates regarding the current restriction level.

“We need the help of our community to do everything possible to minimize the potential for human-caused fires in our town,” Morales said.